The Giant Map of Rhode Island is officially in the schools now! A huge thanks goes out to Artena Fairbairn of Robertson Elementary School (Warwick) for leading the alliance initiative to bring this 16×24 foot map to Rhode Island Schools. If you are interested in getting the map, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Giant RI map” to request the map to come to your school. Please include 3 weeks that would work best for your school schedule. We anticipate that participating schools will have the map for a full school week (please be patient as the map travels to schools all over the state).
When in charge of a map at your school, keep in mind these do’s and don’t. DON’Ts:
- No bare feet (oils and sweat) or shoes on the map.
- Socks are required to walk on the map.
- No writing instruments (or anything sharp) on the map.
- No sliding on the map (jean rivets rip maps).
- Don’t leave the map unattended without a responsible adult in charge.
- Make the map as accessible to as many students as possible.
- Make this an opportunity for a public event with VIPs and media.
- Find ways to get interdisciplinary uses of the map to get more teachers involved to get publicity for your school.
- Treat the resources carefully so they will stay clean and last for years.
- Wash the communal socks in the kits BEFORE giving the map to the next school.
- Transport the map to the next school with the map.
- Take pictures (following your school procedures) and have fun!