ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Rhode Island Geography Education Alliance (RIGEA) was established in 1991 to increase and improve the teaching of geography in Rhode Island schools. Its membership consists of K-12 teachers, but membership is open to everyone. RIGEA is supported by money raised in Rhode Island and through grants from the National Geographic Education Foundation. The Alliance is part of a network initiated by the National Geographic Society, which now includes all fifty states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Canada.
- To strengthen geography education in Rhode Island.
- To provide a variety of professional development opportunities, as well as up-to-date geographic information for all teachers
- To distribute innovative classroom materials for K-12 teachers of all subjects.
- Seth Dixon, RIC Geography Professor
- Twitter: @ProfessorDixon @RIGEA1
- Websites: geographyeducation.org and Geography Education on Scoop.it